Monday, May 22, 2006

Dinner at the Tavern

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, some of the Sunday Night Dinner folks got together last Thursday for drinks and dinner at our favorite place, the Local Tavern. It was the first time out as a group since the advent of the blog so I excitedly took pictures of all the food (with excessive flash - yes, I know... I'm working on it) and we enjoyed our meal tremendously. We go to the Tavern a bit (me less than the others, but soon I will be living closer - watch out!) and always have a wonderful time. So, seeing that it is the local haunt rather than trying something new I feel like I'm in no position to rate/review the restaurant... rather, I just wanted to share some of the pictures of the extremely tasty treats that were on the menu last week...
We started with a goat cheese brulee appitizer... With the excessive flash I'm also going to have to remember to write down the food items I order in the future - my descriptions will be greatly lacking - please feel free to correct in the comments :)
The cheese had a sweet glaze that was carmelized across the top and garnished with roasted walnuts and accompanied by a watercress salad. For a cheese lover like myself - especially a warm, gooey goat cheese lover - it was simply heaven on a plate...

Anna and I both ordered the rock shrimp tacos (off the appitizer menu) for our entree. The tacos were more of a quesadilla shape (it's the Californian in me), but it served well to hold in the black beans, corn, tomatoes, succulent rock shrimp and cheesey goodness. The two tacos were complimented by an avocado and corn salsa.

As the sole vegetarian at our table (and choosing from only a few vegetarian options on the menu), Vidya had the fusili pasta.

Lisa ordered the much recommended (by the Tavern's owner, no less) scallops with lentils and asparagus. (Anna adds:
the scallops were ridiculously good. really. perfectly done. or underdone, as the case may be.)

Both Jonathan and Jen ordered the meatloaf and mashed potatos. I never grew up eating meatloaf, so I have none of the horrible associations some people claim. It's still a bit of a novelty to me. This was amazing, melt in your mouth, can't stop eating even though you're bursting at the seams (full of shrimp tacos) meaty goodness... 'nuff said.

There was much wine to go along with the meal and a brief discussion of dessert. The Local Tavern does not offer a dessert menu mainly because there is an amazing bakery across the street that makes single serving offereings of delectable sweet treats. Unfortunately for us that night (but definately fortunate for my belly) Athan's had already closed for the night... That's ok - next time!

So, there's the recap of a Thursday night dinner... Good food, good wine, good friends and a great location - what more could anyone ask for?
Well, actually one more thing - for those who were there, I'd invite you to leave a comment with your own description of dinner - I can edit the post as it goes along to include all the differing perspectives (sort of a chain letter post?) ~Lissa

1 comment:

Anna said...

the scallops were ridiculously good. really. perfectly done. or underdone, as the case may be.